Re: Headaches while trying to test my own custom d-i modules

Christian Perrier wrote:
> Well, I'm still stucked at the following :
>
> I want to check modifications I make to d-i modules (mostly for i18n
> stuff, but that's not the point).
>
> Up to now, I figured out how to do this for packages which are
> included in build images created by the build system in build/ -->
> created udebs and put them in localudebs.
>
> So, for languagechooser and such packages, that's fine. I put my udebs
> there, then "TYPE=cdrom make image". Then "mkisofs  -r -J -b
> cdrom-image.img -o test.iso dest /mnt/loop" where /mnt/loop is manty's
> ISO image mounted.
>
> However, for other packages, such as partitioner, I'm really puzzled.
>
> Thourgh IRC, I've been directed to build my own APT repository. I thus
> read the online doc about this, uses apt-ftparchive. I now have a nice
> APT archive with my custom partitioner package on it.
>
> But, how the hell do I use it ? :-)))
>
> The solution is probably stupid....but I'm stupid enough and cannot
> find it.
>
> So, pleeease, if you manage to have a few minutes for answering this
> mail, give me the Final Hint.

Either use debian-cd to build custom images based on your archive
(hard), or do businesscard (or netboot or floppy) installs of d-i, and
in the mirror config, pick the manual entry, and tell it where your apt
repository is on the web.

Myself, I find it easier to include udebs I am testing on the initrd,
even if they don't normally go there. However, if they depend on a lot
of libraries, this can result in some large initrds, which may be a
problem depending on how you're booting (and can require you to increase
the initrd size kernel parameter to boot properly).

--
see shy jo