Re: INSTALL REPORT with 2004-01-09 netinst, failed

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:46:01PM +0100, ydirson wrote:
> Comments/Problems:
>
> Partition hard drives:
>
> if I just follow the steps lineraly, no problem.  At first, I had hit
> cancel at some point before (have to check and reproduce), and the HD
> selection menu was incomplete (did not mention the probbedname of the
> drive, only the devfs name, and no "terminate" choice).  When
> selecting the drive, all I could see was the blue background - could
> Ctrl-C out of it, but could not achieve partitionning at all.

I could narrow the problem, here are the steps to reproduce.  You'll
need a broken mirror for this to work (at least a mirror with not all
of the files required to download the initial packages):

- when 1st asked to select a mirror, enter informations manually to
point to your local incomplete mirror (FWIW there is a proxy between
the test machine and the mirror).

- when the download step fails, go back to mirror selection (note: we
have here Z choices "go back" and "continue", both of which lead into
the main menu to the next step, despite the error).

- then select a valid one (I use ftp2.de.d.o)

- download completes fine, and the list of discs to partition is
presented, featuring the problem described above

I could find nothing obviously alarming on this subject in syslog,
although there are many "broken dependency" reported all around.  I
saved the syslog through nc (hopefully installed by a previous run on
the target HD, kudos to you for having put it here ;)

Syslog filtered for "partition" reads the following - full syslog
available on request:

[...]
Jan 12 13:02:25 (none) user.debug main-menu[227]: DEBUG: search for package resolving mounted-partitions, dependency from base-installer
Jan 12 13:02:25 (none) user.info main-menu[227]: INFO: broken dependency: debootstrap-udeb to mounted-partitions
Jan 12 13:02:25 (none) user.info main-menu[227]: INFO: Falling back to the package description for di-utils-partitioner
[...]
Jan 12 13:02:25 (none) user.debug main-menu[227]: DEBUG: Menu item 'di-utils-partitioner' selected
Jan 12 13:02:25 (none) user.debug main-menu[227]: DEBUG: configure di-utils-partitioner, status: 2
Jan 12 13:02:25 (none) user.warn main-menu[227]: WARNING **: Unable to set title for di-utils-partitioner.

HTH,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique