Re: [debian_inst@yahoo.com: d-i fails on eepro100]

[Debian Fan, I'm sending you this mail to try to resolve the problem you
had with your Ethernet Card when testing debian-installer, other read
below]

Can you please try if your card works when loading the e100 module
instead of the eepro100 module?
If not please send us the output of lspci -v on this machine.

Am Son, den 11.01.2004 schrieb Martin Michlmayr um 18:36:
> FYI
>
> (BTW, I think discover switched all eepro100 modules to e100; but
> apparently [according to some mails I saw, e.g. on -boot] some kinds
> don't work with e100 yet, although they do work with eepre100)
Do you have some more exact pointers?

> ----- Forwarded message from Debian Fan <debian_inst@yahoo.com> -----
>
> From: Debian Fan <debian_inst@yahoo.com>
> Subject: d-i fails on eepro100
> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:57:11 -0800 (PST)
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
[...]
> However, my Intel eepro100 card:
> Bus 0, device 14, function 0:
>   Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet
> Pro100] (rev 5).
> was not able to be correctly inserted, preventing me
> from installing the system. I got the following error:
>
> # modprobe -v eepro100
> insmod  eepro100
> Using
> /lib/modeules/2.4.22-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100.o
> insmod: unresolved symbol mii_ethtoo_gset_R8ffcbfbe
> insmod: unresolved symbol mii_nway_restart_R3114bb4f
> insmod: unresolved symbol mii_ethtool_sset_Rb6b552a0
> insmod: unresolved symbol mii_link_ok_R7e6456bf
> insmod: unresolved symbol mitt_check_link_R0f2ff551
> modprobe: failed to load module eepro100

I fail to see why this problem is related to discover. This user tries
to load the eepro100 module and this module has unresolved symbols. This
seems like a kernel problem or a bad modules.dep file. In a quick test I
cannot reproduce this,but then I may not use the exact same kernel and I
have no d-i i386 test machine atm.

Gaudenz