Re: specifying a preseed url by dhcp

Sounds like a good idea.

As you say, the PXE boot will have already used the
next-server:/filename DHCP extensions to download the next-stage
installer (PXElinux / d-i / whatever).  Overloading the filename
parameter seems like a recipe for disaster; sure, we can return a
vendor-ID-based value, but vendor-specific replies is a bit of a
faff.

IIRC, PXELinux gets around this by looking for a configuration file in
a standard subdirectory on the next-server (could be "/pxelinux", I
don't have a machine handy).  The filename is the hex-encoded version
of its IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1 == "C0A80101").  If this fails,
then the least significant bytes are successively zero-ed out
(simulating different common subnet masks) until it tries "default"
as a filename (instead of "00000000").

Grub, on the other hand, uses a specific tag (150) to store the
location of its config file.  On the face of things, this seems in
violation of RFC2939.  But, if there's no way of registering new
tags ...

Those, I think, are our three options.  Personally, I'd go for the
third one, if we can do it without violating RFC2939.  Failing that,
having a standard filename (perhaps cascading, like PXELinux) might
be OK.

HTH,

Paul.