why does netinst pull base from the web?

The description of the netinst image is:

  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apas02.html#howto-getting-images-cdrom
  The difference between the two images is that on the full netinst
  image the base packages are included, whereas you have to download
  these from the web if you are using the business card image.

Thus, the netinst images include the base system. However, during
the installation, the base packages are still fetched from the Net.

Why bother then to download the netinst image instead of the
businesscard one?

`. `'`