Re: please do not force aptitude

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 01:54:51AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2004.11.07.0142 +0100]:
> > Tasksel is frozen. The current situation is fine except for a 1%
> > of users who happen to need to be expert debian users anyway, and
> > who can work around it.<lay-out-changed/>
> >
> > I'm trying to release sarge, not make it perfect.
Understood.

> I concur, but I would claim that the percentage is larger by factors
> than the 1% you quote.
>
> But especially new users prefer not to be dumped into aptitude with
> its 10'000 packages before even getting a chance to log in and get
> a bit of a feel for their new Debian system. In the courses
> I taught, people were always very grateful when I showed them the
> philosophy behind a minimal install and an install-on-demand policy
> afterwards.
>
> I just find it very sad that sarge does not continue along the
> lines.
I second that.

To get a minimal system, I use this trick:

 * select nothing in tasksel
 . you get forced into the ugly[1] looking aptitude
 * quit aptitude, it is the first thing you do
 * confirm the quit (aptitude is probably dissapointed that it isn't used)
 . debian-installer continues[2]

Geert Stappers

[1] none debconf frontend
[2] with the "familar" frontend.