Re: r23178 - in trunk/packages/rootskel: debian src/lib/debian-installer.d

At 17 Oct 04 19:08:18 GMT,
Joey Hess wrote:
> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Bastian Blank wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 12:28:56AM -0600, Kenshi Muto wrote:
> > > New Revision: 23178
> > > Modified:
> > >    trunk/packages/rootskel/debian/changelog
> > >    trunk/packages/rootskel/src/lib/debian-installer.d/S40term-linux
> > > Log:
> > > Enable UTF-8 on serial console. (closes: #263137)
> >
> > This is nonsense, the escape-codes are linux only.
>
> This has a potential to block or break the initrd builds which I need to
> redo very soon to fix powerpc floppy sizes. Can we get a quick
> decision on whether to keep or drop this change please.

hmm, 'echo -ne "\033%G"' isn't needed for serial? My test
environment (Windows + TeraTerm) needs this because drawing line.

OK, it isn't so important.

But, TERM_UTF8=yes and LANG=C.UTF-8 is really needed for serial
console if we allow to choose non-English language. Without this,
installer goes hang up a few minutes and falls back English (and won't
work correctly).

old patch in #263137 doesn't include escape sequence. Is it acceptable
for all?

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto