Re: 3 days till freeze of initrd contents

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:29:10PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Mmm, i had a quick look, and it seems that your IDE controller doesn't appear
> in lspci output, so it is either not there, or not a pci device. In any case,
> maybe you should contact gaudenz or colin watson about this. the dmesg outptu
> shows that it is not a pci device, but a function of the :
>
>   0000:00:10.0 ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Heathrow Mac I/O (rev 01)
>
> So the best solution would be to add info for it to hw-detect.
>
> Could you confirm which module is supposed to be used for this, and thaty it
> is indeed included in the appropriate ide module .udeb or something.

It doesn't seem to be that simple. According to the dmesg output, the
mac-io device above only has a CD-ROM drive attached to it, and this
device is in fact detected in the floppy build.

The IDE controller that isn't working for Rick is driven by the aec62xx
driver, off the PCI bus. This driver *is* in the appropriate udebs and
*is* being loaded in the floppy build, but the IDE devices attached to
it are not being detected. Search for "Probing" in the logs and you'll
see what I mean.

It looks to me as if ide-probe, being built-in, is run before the
modular IDE drivers are loaded by hw-detect, and doesn't get a chance to
run again. I note that, on i386, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m, while the
powerpc-small config has CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y. I suspect that
modularizing this would fix the problem. That might well be far too
risky a change for sarge at this point, though.

Cheers,