Re: Sarge Debian-Installer On G3 Beige

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 11:55:07PM -0400, Duane Cottle wrote:
> I'm unsuccessful  booting into a completed Sarge installation using
> BootX. Instead the installer begins again.
>
> According to the BootX README, after installation, I may deselect the
> ramdisk option. This causes kernel panic, having not found my root
> device, which is /dev/hda7 in the partitioner. I entered it according
> to the README. I understand this is an Oldworld Mac, and that yaboot is
> moot for me. I do not know if working with miboot is necessary to fool
> the box's firmware, and it's something I'm not familiar with.
> Nevertheless ...
You can't just boot without an initial ramdisk, but you have to use
the disk that was created during installation for your computer. It is
in /boot on your installed system. The problem now is probably how to
get it to your MacOS partition.

The easiest way is probably to boot into the installer and go until the
partitioning step and then switch to the second console and mount the
partition that contains your /boot and the partition that contains your
MacOS. Then you can copy it to your MacOS partition and boot BootX with it.

Another option I think should work is to reinstall and make a seperate
partition for /boot which is hfs formatted (not sure if there is support
for hfs in the installer).

> - scoured the fine Sarge installer manual for PowerPC, noting that there
> is an uncomfortable amount of reference to Woody. I managed to patch
> quik first.b from the console after the installer let me "Detect
> Hardware" to get at my floppy before it partitioned my drive again.
Sorry for that. Many parts of the manual are not yet updated for Sarge.
Work on this has just begun.

> Setup
> Mac Beige G3/266 w/ 64MB RAM
>
> /dev/:
> hda1-6	Mac cruft partitions	hfs+	{few megs}
> hda7	/			ext2	700MB	bootable
> hda8	/var			ext3	500MB
> hda9	/usr			ext3	1.2GB
> hda10	/tmp			ext3	50MB
> hda11	swap			swap	128MB
> hda12	Mac OS 9		hfs+	1GB
>
> I got no choice for primary or extended partitions like on a x86?
Mac partition tables do not know the concept of primary/extended
partitions. They are not needed.

Gaudenz