hacking a d-i sarge iso

Hi, I hope I'm in the right place to ask this. I downloaded a sarge-net-iso yesterday and I was wanting to change the kernel to 2.6.8.1-mm2 so I could make my root fs reiser4. I've got these links to go on:

http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianInstallerModify
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/svn/debian-installer/installer/doc/custom-kernel.txt

I looked at the isolinux/isolinux.cfg file inside the image and made the 2.6 entry my starting point:

LABEL linux26
 kernel /install/2.6/vmlinuz
append vga=normal initrd=/install/2.6/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=10240 root=/dev/rd/0 init=/linuxrc devfs=mount,dall rw

But when I copied out the initrd.gz from the install/2.6 directory, decompressed it, and mounted it -o loop I couldn't find a linuxrc file. I've only messed with ramdisks a few times but I've always had to create a linuxrc file myself. Am I missing something?