Zero disk / zero CD install?

I was wondering if there's a good unofficial cd image for a cdinstall that
I might be able to use on my aging laptop.

I was trying the sarge netinst with grub,

 rsync me@elsewhere:dnl/sarge-i386-netinst.iso /boot/
 mount /boot/sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt/tmp
 cp -a /mnt/tmp/install /isolinuxDEB

with a grub entry per
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s01.html#boot-initrd :

 title Debian sarge install
 kernel (hd0,0)/isolinuxDEB/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram devfs=mount,dall
 initrd (hd0,0)/isolinuxDEB/initrd.gz

Reboot, and then the installer starts up but can't
find the cdrom.  I tried going to a shell to try to mount the image:

  mkdir /mnt
  mount /dev/disks/disk1/part1 /mnt
  mount /mnt/sarge-i386-netinst.iso /cdrom -o loop=loop1

but sadly, there doesn't seem to be a loopback driver (loop.o) in the
netinst config.  If loop.o were there, perhaps I could manually mount the
non-CD and continue the install.

Suggestions?

Dave
--
 Dave Forrest                                    (804)642-0662h
 drf5n@maplepark.com               http://maplepark.com/~drf5n/