Re: Intro & problem: 8139too TX timeout in sarge installer

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Paul Gear <paul@gear.dyndns.org> [2004-06-16 13:52]:
>
>>I can complete the installation from the netinst CD and it proceeds to
>>completion, but on reboot i have the same situation: no network.
>

> Can you please install the 2.6 kernel and see if you have the same
> problem there?  Can you post the full kernel output (dmesg) from both
> 2.4 and 2.6?

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply.  How do i install the 2.6 kernel?  Is there a way
to do that from the install CD?

>>- Is there a way i can take a basic install of a 3.0r2 system and
>>upgrade to sarge via apt?
>

> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list change the list from stable to sarge
> (i.e. have something like:
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
> )
>
> and then do:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade

I found the instructions for distro upgrades at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html and
installed the testing distro, but i still ended up with the same kernel
(and a broken X server, but that's a separate issue).  There doesn't
seem to be a kernel package listed in 'dpkg -l' - how do i get a new
kernel?  (I'm used to the Red Hat way where you can 'rpm -i' multiple
kernel packages and select from them at boot time - is there a similar
mechanism for Debian?)

Also, i used 'testing' in /etc/apt/sources.list where you have 'sarge'.
 Is that wrong?

--
Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net