Re: Debian Boot logo

Alessandro Polverini wrote:
> reading the changelog of d-i I saw you switched back to the old logo
> because the current one confused some users (!?).

It's hard to belive, isn't it? It seems that more than one user saw the
white lines dividing the top and bottom of the logo, and the cut in half
"Debian", and saw not an artistic effect, but what seemed to them to be
screen corruption.

> I red a statement of the person counting the votes and if I remember
> well, the other our logo was the second one most voted.
>
> It does not have the "problem" that someone can think that the screen is
> garbled, I ask you to consider it for the next daily build, to check
> what is the response of the users.
>
> You can grab it at:
> http://nibbles.it/debian/
>
> The logo I'm speaking about is the "First proposal".

I went back to the "klowner" logo in the spirit of just reverting to
something that was known to work and that didn't have any real problems.
Something I've also been known to do with various code in d-i from time
to time, and I know it can be frustrating. We'll use this logo for the
rc1 release, and will have another opportunity to reconsider after that.

I actually think that your third proposal is also pretty neat, though I
don't know where the syslinux text would fit with. I think one thing we
learned from the vote is that just looking at a logo in a web browser is
not a good way to judge whether it works as a boot logo. Also that we
have to consider usability issues when choosing a logo. That makes the
result of the vote less valid, and if we hold another vote of some kind
we'll have to change how it's done to adress this.

--
see shy jo