Usablity: network configuration on machine without a network card (beta4 and tc1)

Hi all,

Repies: please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list.

Hardware: NEC Versa VX laptop (year 2000)
Processor: Pentium III 450MHz
Memory: 192M
* No onboard network card *

Details:

beta4: At the network hardware detection stage, I get presented a question saying that detection failed, and asking me to choose a driver. I choose the proposed anser: "none of the above". As a consequence, I am shown a red error template, which I feel is quite agressive, given that everything is perfectly normal. I then get dumped into the installer menu, from where I can finish the installation. The hostname is set only in stage 2. I configure my DSL network acces by myself.

tc1: A few changes, but only to make it worse: after choosing "none of the above", I get a proposition to provide a driver floppy, and when I anser "no", I get cycled back to the previous question. The only way to get to the menu is pressing the ESC key.

both: A more annoying consequence of this all is that the network stays completely unconfigured. /etc/network/interfaces is empty, except 2 lines of comments. As I use DSL, I didn't check this file, and was left with a system without a lo interface. This leads to incidious breakage which renders some software unusable, most notably mozilla.

I didn't check yet using the ppp-udeb, I will try this when I have time, but this is no solution for users following the standard installation process. Maybe a low-priority netcfg-basic udeb should be included in default builds, which would set at least the hostname and the lo interface, when everything else fails.

Unless someone has a better idea, I will file a bug against netcfg very shortly, I hesitate for the priority.

Thanks for all the good work,
see U,
Baptiste