Software RAID setup (Was: AmigaONE && RAID install)

    Martin> * Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> [2004-05-28 09:02]:
    >> A couple of years ago I wrote a patch to give RAID install
    >> support to the 'debian-boot' system. It was to close to a
    >> release, so nothing happened.
    >>
    >> But now I have the exact same problem again, so I thought I'd
    >> give it a shoot. I got 'debian-installer', and are currently
    >> familiarising myself with the code. I'll let you know what
    >> happens (maybe it's even there already :).

    Martin> There is Software RAID support already.  Maybe you can
    Martin> test it.

Oki, i was running the CD (20040606) through VMWare (with two 1Gb
virtual disks) just to try it out virtually before I tried it on a
real machine. These are my notes (and thoughts). I was booting with
'linux26', not 'expert26' which I tried, but thought was WAY to complex
for my needs. It asks so many questions I don't care about, and don't
want to see (I'm in a 'rush' :).

1 Partitioning method:
  Erase entire disk: SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 1.0 GB VMware                SELECT
  Erase entire disk: SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) - 1.0 GB VMware
  Manually edit partition table

2 Partitioning scheme:
  All files in one partition
  Separate partition for home directories
  Multi-user system                                                     SELECT

3 Partition disks
  Configure software RAID                                               NOTE #5
  Configure the LVM
  Guided partitioning
  Help on partitioning

  SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 1.0 GB VMware
    #1 primary   73.3 MB ! x ext3  /                                    NOTE #3
    #5 logical  525.3 MB   x ext3  /usr
    #6 logical   54.5 MB   x ext3  /var
    #7 logical   20.9 MB   x ext3  /tmp
    #8 logical  327.1 MB   x ext3  /home
    #9 logical   71.2 MB   x swap  swap
  SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) - 1.0 GB VMware                                   SELECT

  Undo changes to partitions
  Finish partitioning and write changes to disk                         NOTE #4

4 Partition disks - How to use this free space:
  Create a new partition
  Automatically partition the free space                                SELECT
  Clone partition table from another disk                               NOTE #1
  Show Cylinder/Head/Sector information

5 Partition settings:
  Usage method:   do not use
  Bootable flag:  on
  Size:           73.3 MB
  Partition type: 0x83 (Linux ext3)                                     NOTE #3

  Done setting up the partition
  Copy data from another partition
  Delete the partition

6 Active devices for the RAID1 multidisk device:
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part9                           NOTE #2
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part5
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part6
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part7
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part8
  [ ] /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part9

7 Partition disks
  Configure software RAID
  Configure the LVM
  Guided partitioning
  Help on partitioning

  RAID1 device #0 - 73.2 MB Software RAID device
    #1           73.2 MB                                                NOTE #6
  RAID1 device #1 - 526.2 MB Software RAID device
    #1          526.2 MB
  RAID1 device #2 - 54.3 MB Software RAID device
    #1           54.3 MB
  RAID1 device #3 - 20.8 MB Software RAID device
    #1           20.8 MB
  RAID1 device #4 - 327.0 MB Software RAID device
    #1          327.0 MB
  RAID1 device #5 - 71.1 MB Software RAID device
    #1           71.1 MB
  SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 1.0 GB VMware                                   NOTE #7
    #1 primary   73.3 MB ! x raid
    #5 logical  525.3 MB   x raid
    #6 logical   54.5 MB   x raid
    #7 logical   20.9 MB   x raid
    #8 logical  327.1 MB   x raid
    #9 logical   71.2 MB   x raid
  SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) - 1.0 GB VMware
    #1 primary   73.3 MB ! x raid
    #5 logical  525.3 MB   x raid
    #6 logical   54.5 MB   x raid
    #7 logical   20.9 MB   x raid
    #8 logical  327.1 MB   x raid
    #9 logical   71.2 MB   x raid

  Undo changes to partitions
  Finish partitioning and write changes to disk                         NOTE #8

8 Create FS on partitions
  if you continue, these changes to the partition
  table will be written to disk.
  [...]
  The following partitions are going to be formatted:                   NOTE #9
    partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as raid                         NOTE #10
    partition #5 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as raid
    partition #6 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as raid
    partition #7 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as raid
    partition #8 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as raid
    partition #9 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as raid
    partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) as raid
    partition #5 of SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) as raid
    partition #6 of SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) as raid
    partition #7 of SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) as raid
    partition #8 of SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) as raid
    partition #9 of SCSI1 (0,1,0) (sdb) as raid

  Write these changes to disk?  <Yes> <No>                              NOTE #11

9 Partition settings:
  Usage method:         physical volume for RAID                        NOTE #12
  File system:          ext3 journalling file system
  Mount point:          /tmp
  Mount options:        defaults
  Bootable flag:        off
  Size:                 20.9 MB

  Done setting up the partition
  Copy data from another partition
  Delete the partition

* NOTE #1: Create new partition?
  * No - copy/duplicate partition table from disk X (so they're identical for RAID)

  * Instead I had to first partition disk0, then disk1 (using automatic partitioning).
    Can it be guarantied that the disks are identical that way?
    - No, not if they're not the exact same type/make of disks (which isn't a
      requirenment)!

* NOTE #2: View
  There should be an empty line separating target0 from target1 to make it easier
  to distinguish the disks. They kind'a floats together, making it hard to choose
  the partitions to use for the md device... Luckily I had only two disks, which gave
  me the option to just look at the very last character (the partition number). But
  if i had more (say a RAID5 with lots of partitions), it whould be VERY difficult
  to select them all correctly... Something like this perhaps?

  /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/
  [ ] part1
  [ ] part5
  [ ] part6
  [ ] part7
  [ ] part8
  [ ] part9

  /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/
  [ ] part1
  [ ] part5
  [ ] part6
  [ ] part7
  [ ] part8
  [ ] part9

* NOTE #3: Partition settings
  * How are type 0xFD choosen (without going through a [c]fdisk on tty2)?
    If selecting 'Configure software RAID' in point 4, it complains that:
    - Partition table needs to be written
      If selecting Yes, then FS are created on ALL partitions. Don't want
      that (yet). I want RAID first, _THEN_ FS!
    - That there are no partitions of type "Linux RAID Autodetect".

* NOTE #4: Write changes to disk
  If this is done before BOTH (or more) of the disks are partitioned, the
  installation will start. This might be obvious to those that used the
  installer before. But the very first time(s) I tried it, I wanted to
  create md devices, so I partitioned disk0, and saved. This so that
  [c]fdisk on tty2 would have the new partition table (so that I could
  change partition type to 0xFD)...
  This naturaly isn't the way to go (see note 5 below).

* NOTE #5: Configure software RAID
  If both disks are partitioned, the list in point 4 will look weird.
  No mount points configured for disk0, only for disk1 (which is ALSO
  wrong since I'm going to use RAID1 only).

  After partitioning both disks, and THEN choose to configure/create
  RAID devices, I will be asked if I want to save the partition table
  -> Yes!

  Unfortunatly (?) it will also create file system(s) here (it flashes
  past so quickly, but I'm almost certain that it creates at least ONE
  ext3 FS on some partition(s) here). I'd prefere that it doesn't do
  this here...

  When I'm given the choice to 'Create MD device', I go into tty2 to
  use [c]fdisk to set partition type 0xFD on _ALL_ partitions (even
  the swap) in both disks, then I can go back to tty1 and choose
  'Create MD device' for all the md devices I want successfully.

  After successfully managed to configure my RAID1 md devices, I end
  up in something that looks like point three again (exact view is
  point 7), showing first all the md devices, then all the SCSI1
  devices.

* NOTE #6: Partition on MD device
  Is this even possible? Isn't this a little redundant information?
  It's already stated on the line above that RAID1 device #x have the
  size xx.yy MB, so why state it again?

  Looking closer on these 'partitions', I see that the usage flag isn't
  set on the md devices, only on (all!) the SCSI1 devices. This also
  means that each and every SCSI1 device have a mount point (i.e.
  duplicate mount points!).

  Fixing this by creating FS and mount the md devices, set nomount
  on the SCSI1 devices (all I had to do was select 'Usage method'
  and 'Use the parititon as a RAID device', and all the other stuff
  - FS, mount {point,options} etc (see point 9) - was reset. It would
  have been nice if this was done automaticly when choosing to use
  RAID.

  This will give me something that's very close to point 8, but with
  the following additions at the top:
        partition #x on RAID1 device #x as ext3
  Note that I _still_get the
        partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,x,0) (sdX) as raid
  Which I did NOT expect...

  Selecting 'Yes' anyway when asked if ok to create FS will mkfs
  BOTH the mdX devices _AND_ the sdX devices! Even though I've
  clearly told it NOT to!

        Identical mount points for two filesystems
        Two file system are assigned the same mount point (/):
        RAID1 device #0 and SCSI1 (0,1,0), partition #sdb1 ().

  I TRIPPLE checked that this was NOT specified before continuing
  with save changes... Selecting 'Continue', will (try to) restart
  the partitioner (but it seems to hang at 55%).

* NOTE #7: View
  There should be an empty line (or other) to separate RAIDx devices
  from each other and from the SCSIx (IDEx?) lines...

* NOTE #8: Write changes to disk
  I'm done, everything looks ok. Exept there's no mount points defined
  anywhere!
  - Asks me if it's ok to create FS on all partitions. It doesn't look
    QUITE ok (see point 8 and NOTE #10).

* NOTE #9: Language
  'will be formatted'? Shouldn't the correct 'Linux english' be:
  'will be getting a file system'? :)

* NOTE #10: Format partition(s)
  I don't want to FS partition x on device y! I want the FS on mdX!

* NOTE #11: Write changes
  If I select No here, ALL my changes are scratched (?) and I'll end
  up with a restarted partitioner (which seems to hang at 55%). I
  only wanted to go back to 'Create FS on partitions' (view/point 8),
  not all the way back to the 'main' menu...
--
security toluene Cuba iodine North Korea SDI president Delta Force
nitrate jihad South Africa Iran explosion Panama colonel