m68k vs. d-i tc1 -- bummer, help needed

Periodically while testing daily d-i images, I've run into the
following problem on m68k/mac while running a 2.2 kernel. Many of the
initrd's give the following example error when mounting on a 2.2
kernel system (either loopback or as initrd).

| EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,0)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free
| blocks count for group 0, stored = 4515, counted = 4511
| EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,0)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Superblock
| in group 1 is marked free
| EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,0)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Descriptor
| block #0 in group 1 is marked free
| EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,0)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Block bitmap
| for group 1 is marked free
| | EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,0)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Inode bitmap
| for group 1 is marked free
| EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,0)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free
| blocks count for group 1, stored = 5054, counted = 5050
| EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,0)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free
| blocks count in super block, stored = 9569, counted = 9561

Often nothing comes as a result of the errors and I used to ignore them.
But recently, the permissions have started to get messed up too.
Featuring the dreaded busybox message

| Bummer, could not run '/sbin/debian-installer': Permission denied

scrolling across the screen. It doesn't happen with all images always,
but if an image is broken, it stays broken. This same image looks fine
on a machine with a 2.4 kernel and even looks fine when mounted loopback
on a 2.2 machine, although you get the above ext2-fs errors in dmesg.

I think this may be genext2fs bug #232023.

Preliminary testing seems to support this. If I create a filesystem using
dd and ext2fs and copy a broken initrd to it via loopback: the new image
seems to be fine.

Which brings me to d-i, the mac/nativehd-initrd.gz and cdrom22-initrd.gz
images are so afflicted. I plan on copying them to a fresh filesystem
and testing them, but that doesn't help what's in the archive.

Unfortunately, the only build workaround that I'm aware of requires
root.

dd
mke2fs
sudo mount -o loop