PowerPC install on a powerbook G4

Well I just tried the sid_d-i install images for today, May 24, 2004, and I
must say that I am impressed, and grateful to all the folks who have been
donating their time to this project.

This time it worked for everything except one thing:  I had to drop to a shell
and udpkg -i <dhcp package>.  I went back to the dhcp configuration and it
went smoothly from there.

The first suggestion I have is for yaboot-installer.   It found the two
bootable partitions that I had, but it only listed the extremely long and
undecipherable(for a newer user) /dev/ide/host0/.../lun0/part(2|3) names.
Perhaps this list should include the partition names.  Which brings me to
another point.

Although I'm quite capable of partitioning the drives myself, I hate doing it.
I'd much prefer to have a tool figure it out for me based on some heuristics.
Having said that: I _love_ the guided partitioner.  So I used that again to
partition the drive and it added the correct yaboot partition for me.

Couldn't the partitioner and yaboot installer come up with a quick way for
them to communicate about the correct bootstrap partition.  Perhaps
automatically name the yaboot partition "bootstrap" which is what is
recommended almost everywhere that I've seen.  Then the yaboot-installer
could do a quick search for a bootable partition named "bootstrap" and
default to this.

The only other suggestion I have is for the partitioner.  When the user
chooses "free space" for the automated partitioning, perhaps a quick search
could be done for a useable swap partition which already exists and ask about
using this.

This turned out to be a bit longer than I originally planned, but there it is.

Thanks again,

Lakin Wecker