Re: Software RAID support

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 07:59:19AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Andrew Pollock <apollock@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> 2) The initrd image generated by mkinitrd only activates the first md-device
> >> for some weird reason.
> >
> > mkinitrd is fussy, the mirror must be fully built and healthy to be used.
>
> It shouldn't be.  It's meant to pick up whatever disks are listed in the
> superblocks or raidtab.
>
> If that's not the case, please file a bug.

What I'm saying is I've found from experience with RAID1 (using mdadm) that
if the MD device the root filesystem was on was not in a healthy state when
mkinitrd was run, it wouldn't put the commands in the initrd to attach the
other half of the mirror on bootup. So if the mirror was still syncronising
at mkinitrd run time, or the mirror was only built with one member, that's
the way the mirror would be on subsequent reboots.

I thought it was behaviour by design. IIRC, the script explicitly grepped
out non-ok mirror devices.

Andrew