Re: Changing the wording of countrychooser main question

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 09:49:26AM +0200, George Papamichelakis wrote:
> Thiemo Seufer wrote:
>
> >Christian Perrier wrote:
> >

> >>I'm considering changing the wording of the main countrychooser
> >>question.
> >>
> >>Currently, this is, very simply:
> >>
> >>"Choose a country:"
> >>

> >>Indeed, several entries in the list (taken from ISO-3166) are not
> >>countries, strictly speaking.
> >>
> >>The most important example seems to be "Taiwan" which is, BOTH for the
> >>"People Republic of China" (usually called "China", member of UN) and
> >>the "Republic of China" (usually calle "Taiwan", non UN member) *only*
> >>"Taiwan, Province of China".
> >>

> >Other politically sensitive ones would be AFAICS Palestine or
> >Northern Cyprus.
> >

> >Thiemo
> >

> wouldn't it also be FYROM (or FYRO Macedonia)  for The Former Yugoslav
> Republic Of Macedonia  instead of plain  Macedonia ?

Potentially, yes.  However, we do risk several thousand locales if
we're not careful and wish to duplicate things based on borders/disputed
politics :(

Hypothetical example: - Moldova - contains Russians, Moldovans and
other ethnic groups - Moldovan language similar to Romanian.

So you have Moldova - Russian keyboard/Cyrillic, Moldova - Latin keyboard,
Moldovan, Moldova - Cyrillic keyboard, Moldovan.

[In the breakaway region of Trans-Dniester - which is part of Moldova
/independent depending on whose side you take - the ??majority?? are either
ethnic Russians, wanting to be governed by Russia or a Turkic speaking group.]

What are you going to do - three Moldovan keyboards, three
trans-Dniester keyboards for one small region?

If you have a Macedonian language locale (irrespective of capital/which side
of the Greek/FYROM border you're on/what you want to call your state) is
the problem solved for Macedonia?

If you have a Greek language locale, will that suffice for Cyprus for
Greek speaking Cypriots? [Turkish language locale suffice for Turkish
Cypriots/UK English for Akrotiri and Episcopi?]

There are no easy answers :(

Andy