Re: Installing to a swapable hard drive

Am 2004-01-01 16:29:16, schrieb Douglas Dreistadt:
>Hi folks, Happy New Year!

>  Like most bilingual users, I run a dual boot
>system. Right now I am dual booting Win98SE
>English and Win98SE Japanese. I use removable hard
>disks, and I have my system arranged as follows:

I use IDE-Racks too...

>  One hard disk holds the OS, the other hard disk
>holds everything else. Hard disk 1 contains the OS
>and is removable, so all I have to do to switch
>OSs is swap hard drives. Hard disk 1 is always C:>
>drive, no matter which disk I boot from.

Like at me...

>  Hard disk 2 is not removable. It is partitioned
>three ways. Drive D: is for Japanese software,
>drive E: is for English software, and drive F: is
>for data. To work in one language or the other, I
>just swap OSs (HD1). The drives in HD2 are always
>available no matter what OS disk I boot from. Most
>bilingual users (that I know) use a setup like
>this one.

OK, I have only the DATA-partition (FAT-32) on it...
Because

1. I can not use turkish Programs on german Windows
2. The Programs write in the Registry while installing
   so Programs of the first Win-Install do not work on
   the second Win-Install

For hda I use IBM DHEA-34330 and for hdc IBM IC35L060AV

>  What I want to do is install Linux in a new
>third hard disk 1, and still be able to get at my
>data in HD2. I cannot find anything in the Debian

Do it !
Put a new Harddisc in the IDE-Rack and install Debian...
If you like to mount the DATA-Partition from second Drive,
make the correct entry in the /etc/fstab after installing
and rebooting of the Base.

>docs about installation on such a system. My main
>concern is whether or not Linux will mess with my
>data and applications in HD2 while installing it

Don't worry about it...

>to HD1. Will the installation try to make any
>changes in my other hard disk (HD2)? There are all

No, Debian will never touch your HD2...

>kinds of dire warnings about backing up before
>installation, but does that apply to additional
>hard drives, or only the disk to which Linux is

This is only, if you try to repartition a Harddisk.
or chooe accidently the fals Drive...

Please note:

You canm select the HD2 with cfdisk and make changes !!!

These are only virtuell !!!

At the end you mit hit "W" for writing it to Disk and
confirm wit "yes". But if you do not like to partition
the Drive, hit "Q" and you are backe in the Mainmenu
without changing anything.

>being installed. Should I disconnect HD2 during
>installation? Any advice on how to proceed?

NO.

>Douglas Dreistadt

Greetings and Happy new Year
Good luck with Debian GNU/Linux