Re: d-i ia64 install report

Richard Hirst wrote:
> Installing sarge didn't work, because it doesn't have the newest
> debootstrap, so I used it to install sid.  This is the first time I've
> tried d-i for a few weeks, and some things have broken in the meantime.

d-i is supposed to use debootstrap-udeb, which as a udeb is not in
testing (but just symlined to it along with all the others). So I don't
understand what you mean by the above. Is it possible debootstrap-udeb
0.2.21 has not yet been compiled for ia64?

> Issues:
>
> Some char-set issue on language selection, top line has '?????', at
> least.  Didn't see this problem before.

That's Arabic. I'm considering turning it off until it is fixed.

> Failed to detect my cdrom (ide), because it never loaded ide-probe-mod.o
> I have to manually modprobe that before d-i loaded the other kernel
> modules for cdrom detection to work.  If I modprobed it after d-i failed
> to detect the cd, I then had to manually mknod /dev/cdrom b 3 0 and tell
> d-i to use that.  Didn't see this problem before.

Hmm, we lost loading of ide-probe-mod some time ago. I have put it back
for the next version of hw-detect. (Or I will when alioth returns to the
net.) I don't know about this /dev problem.

> dhcp network config got an ip address ok, but failed to fill in
> /etc/resolv.conf, so it couldn't resolve names.  Had to give ip addr for
> my local mirror.  Didn't see this problem before.

That's fixed in the archive, awaiting a new CD build.

> elilo failed to run because I didn't have a vaild boot partition with a
> FAT filesystem on it already on the disk.  Had to run elilo manually
> with --format, or mkdosfs first (after chroot-ing to /target).  The
> right way to get round that is to use parted to make a fat32 filesystem
> on the boot partition when creating it, but:
>
> parted seems to be broken.  It doesn't seem able to create filesystems
> anymore.  Havn't looked in to this yet, but "mkpartfs pri ext2 1000
> 2000" just returns to the prompt without apparently doing anything.
> Need to look in to this a bit more and file bug.

I've been hearing murmerings about parted for a few days, is this a
more widespread problem? There was a new version uploaded recently.

> jbailey has hit problems on his box because the 2.4.20 kernel we boot
> doesn't have include a module for the 53c1030.

I understand that Bdale is in the process of fixing this. Of course it
requires a kernel rebuild and, apparently, a marge. Sigh.

> Now dannf has done the ia64 work of getting initrd based booting to
> work, with everything modular, I think we really should switch to using
> his 2.4.22 kernels for d-i, and installing that kernel.  That might
> require some elilo setup fixes.

It would be good to transition it to linux-kernel-di udebs, so we don't
have to rebuild the whole kernel when we find we've left a module out
of a udeb. But probably after beta2, assuming we want ia64 to make
beta2.

--
see shy jo