Re: sarge netinst with PCMCIA ethernet fails to install modules

Joey Hess wrote:

> Brian Dessent wrote:
> > Hello, I'm trying to use the sarge netinst mini-CD to install Debian on
> > a laptop that has a PCMCIA cardbus ethernet adaptor.  The problem that
> > I'm having is that while the first stage installer can recognise and
> > activate the PCMCIA ethernet card, it fails to install the kernel
> > modules for it, so that after rebooting and loading the new kernel from
> > the HD, the card is not recognised and the network install cannot
> > continue.
>
> Our pcmcia support is still very incomplete, so I'm glad to hear it
> worked at all. The problem with pcmcia not being installed is a known
> bug, #214492, though it may not include the detail below:
>
> > The base system that gets installed contains the pcmcia-cs package and
> > the kernel-image-2.4.22-1-386 package (obviously), but NOT the
> > pcmcia-modules-2.4.22-1-386 package.
>
> I plan to reogranise the pcmcia support so it fits in better with the
> rest of the installer, but I may not have a chance to get around to
> doing this for a while.

Well, that's actually a relief to hear as I thought it was something
that I was doing wrong.  Does the woody installer suffer from the same
problem, or is that a different beast?  I was thinking of trying a woody
netinst and then a dist-upgrade.  But if that's known to have issues
then I'll just bite the bullet and download the full ISOs with jigdo.

If there's any further info that I could provide that would be helpful,
please let me know.  I'd be glad to try this again after whatever
changes have been made and let you know how it goes.

Brian