Re: PowerPC people please test the new build code

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I checked in a branch with my proposed new naming scheme. The branch
> > name is mrvn.
> >
> > Someone please check it out and type "cd build; make". You can adjust
> > the host used to rsync udeb from in the Makefile, currently its
> > ftp.debian.org.
>
> Why are you changing it to use rsync and not apt? Wouldn't that make the
> build always need network connectivity to run rsync? If I have an apt

Thats the "make mirror" target which is currently on by default and
configured to rsync from ftp.debian.org. Its only ~20MB for all the
udebs.

Once that has been run mirror-stamp prevents unneccessary runs for
stuff depending on the mirror.

> cache with all udebs, I can use the current build tree while I am
> offline. If this were not possible, I would not be able to work on the

Still works. In fact the udebs are then fetched from the mirror with
apt just as before. Haven't changed that yet. Also localudebs still
works the same.

The mirror is used first to get stuff off the net and to create
partial Packages files for the cdrom. The apt archive lacks the
directory structure and I was to lazy to recreate that myself.

> installer. What about the eventual goal (stated in TODO in the current
> tree) of pulling in library dependencies? Rsync would seem to defeat
> that too.

What TODO file? doc/TODO, build/TODO?

I don't realy see what your getting at. rsync is just the method
debmirror is setup to use by default. Its currently in the Makefile
but will move into config/main. The partial Package files are made by
using a list of packages and pulling in all depends (picking the first
one for a|b cases).

> And there's nothing stopping someone who really wants to from setting up
> apt to use rsync as its underlying transport. Patches already exist.
> Seems pointless though; the transfers needed to do builds are maneagable
> even on dialup without rsync.

"make mirror" will setup sources.list to use the copy method on
$(MIRROR_DIR). It will be a choice to use mirror for some targets I
guess. My plan is to default to creating a local mirror with the
option of using an existing one.

But using solely apt won't work for docs, indices, tools, README* and
Contents files that debian-cd wants. Docs should probably be reworked
and put into an udeb. Indices can probably be generated from the
Packages files. Tools could be packaged too. And Contents could also
be regenerated in a rather long process.

MfG
        Goswin