Re: plans for discover transition (was: plans for d-i string freeze)

There apparently was some discussion between branden robinson and me
which did not get through to the list or at least the list archive due
to the break in. Branden proposed the following transition:

---

Well, here's what I'd personally like:  :)

1) Get a good feedback cycle going between Progeny and debian-boot
   regarding discover2's suitability for debian-installer.  The goal
   here is "feature-complete", not "bug-free".
2) Hand off maintenance off Discover 1.x to the d-i team.  You guys are
   already the de facto maintainers of Discover 1.x and everyone who
   reads the changelogs knows that.
3) Rename the current discover source package to discover-old or
   discover1; drop the libdiscover-dev package from it; rename the
   discover package to discover-old or discover1, and have it Conflict:
   discover.
4) Thanks to 1), we will upload discover 2.0 to Debian unstable.

That should make it clear that DIscover 1.x is deprecated, but will
enable either to be installable, and d-i can use either one,
transitioning on a schedule that is completely under your control.

How does that sound?

----

Following to discussions I had with pere, we would like to release d-i
with discover2 and drop discover1 before release. During this transition
both versions of discover should be available (no hard transition on
which everything breaks).
IMO if we want to release sarge with discover2 for d-i we have to
release beta2 with discover2 (after that it's too late for this change!)

One consequence of this is that we need discover2 udebs ASAP. I'm not
sure if we should wait on progeny providing them any longer as we have
been waiting for months now. OTOH progeny has made available their
subversion archive recently and it seems that they are working on it. My
conclusion is that we should try to find a way to upload an udeb-only
version of discover2 so we can test it on a wider basis without risking
to break existing discover installations. Progeny could then afterwards
take over discover maintenance when they are ready and upload a full
discover package. This way we are not constrained by the work of progeny
but are also not hijacking their package too much.

What do you think about this?

gaudenz

P.S.: If we include discover2 in beta2, I would vote for a longer time
between the opening of CVS and the release of the string freeze (approx.
1,5 weeks should be ok) or an exception for discover related strings (if
there are any).