What about gettext-udeb?

Hi!

In a few days I will be able to annonuce a ready-to-use version of the
debconf-based partitioner I am making.  It uses libparted and hence I
need an internationalisation of the udeb-version of libparted.  Some
of the functions of this library return strings in English.  The
caller is responcible to translate these strings using gettext and the
provided mo-files.

What choices do we have?

It seams difficult to use pointerize as this would require change in
libparted.  The other choice is gettext.

The binary /usr/bin/gettext and the libraries this binary is linked to
seam to me small.  There must be no space-related problems here.  On
the other hand the approximate size of the mo-files is about two times
the size of the pointerized mo-files.  For example the mo-files for
all languages of libparted are about 700Kb and their pointerized
version is about 350Kb.  I don't know if this makes a great
difference.

If it isn't then we can use gettext directly without any
complications.

If it is then libparted-i18n-udeb and other udebs relaying on gettext
can contain gzipped mo-files and un-gzip only one of them in their
postinst.

What do you think?  Should I try to make the necessary patches or at
least fill wishlist bug reports against gettext and libparted?

Anton Zinoviev