use of release names in d-i

d-i uses code names, like "sarge", instead of symbolic names like "testing".
For example, this template:

  Template: mirror/distribution
  Type: select
  Choices: sarge, sid
  Default: sarge
   Please select the distribution you want to install.
   .
   Sarge is the "testing" unreleased version of Debian;
   Sid is "unstable" and will never be released.

I wonder if this has been fully thought out. At some point in the
future, the release manager will decide to freeze debian, and at some
point, will decide to freeze d-i. At some point thereafter, sarge will
be released. When in this process we we have a window to edit this
template to reflect the changed status of sarge? If we do it before d-i
is frozen, then it will be incorrect all during the freeze until sarge
is released. It would be very hard to try to do it in between the freeze
and the final release.

I ran into these exact same problems with base-config years ago, and
that is why it has always used symbolic distribution names (stable,
testing, unstable) since then. That avoids the whole problem.

It doesn't help that I am trying to make base-config use d-i's cdebconf
database instead of dbootstrap_settings, and so I now have to somehow
make use of what's in mirror/distribution, without hardcoding a mapping
table in base-config, least I run into the same problems with
base-confug as we're going to run into with choose-mirror as we approach
release.

Please can't we change this to use symbolic release names?

--
see shy jo