Re: dhcp idea

Hi all,

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2003-11-11 23:37]:
| How's this for an idea for dhcp. If priority is high, then run dhcp, but
| in the background, and only for 30 seconds (or some better chosen time
| that is long enough for most dhcp servers to reply, and short enough to
| not annoy people with no dhcp).
|
| Check to see if an interface is up now. If not, ask the user if they
| want to try harder, or fall back to a manual network setup.
|
| If the user decides to go on with dhcp, go into a loop of checking again
| for an interface to be up, and checking to make sure the dhcp client is
| still running. If the client exits w/o bringing up an interface, fail as
| it does now. If an interface comes up, succeed.
|
| If the user chooses to do a manual config instead, then kill the dhcp
| client, and run netcfg-static.

I really love the idea of automaticly probing for dhcp servers. It's
damn stupid to type "yes, using dhcp" everytime I install a system.

I only see one problem with the autoprobing in the background. Everytime
you start an installation, the host reserve an ip address on the dhcpd
server (if the user isn't fast enough to go to static config). Maybe we
should then also try to release the ip address on the dhcp-server.

Bye
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Sauter