Re: [install-doc] About translations

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:38:27AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to manage the French translation of the new installation manual
> in DocBook XML format with poxml.  It seems to work fine, except for one
> major problem when tag attributes contain entities (see #213036).
> I will continue to investigate this issue.

Good news!

> Docstruct.ent must be patched to build foreign documentation, but
> I do not know how.  One solution is to remove the en/ prefix, move
> this file into en/ and put symlinks ../en/docstruct.ent -> .
> for other languages.

Whatever works ... the idea was to provide a roadmap of the document
for people that work on it, as well as pulling it all together. Maybe
it would be better to make it language-specific.

> Translators can also work as with boot-floppies, the doc-check script
> has been patched to work with current docs.

Excellent.

> Chris, are translators supposed to work on the manual now, or should
> they wait?

Here is the status. There are 8 chapters complete:

welcome
hardware
preparing
install-methods
partitioning

post-install
appendix
administrivia

These need to be reviewed to be sure the information is correct, they
are mostly just imported and reorganized from the boot-floppies
manual.

We need to add the new information in the middle on how to use
debian-installer. This corresponds to the old sections rescue-boot,
kernel-install, and boot-new. We also need to add the tech-info
chapter which talks about how to customize for different kernels etc.

I think what we have represents about 80% of the final text. I plan to
get started on the final sections as soon as I can actually do an
install on my powerpc, or hopefully in the next week. :)

So, it's up to them. Myself, I think it would be fine to get started,
the more eyes we have on it the better.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People