Re: Proposed build system

Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@soziologie.ch> writes:

> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 09:46, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:31:03AM +0200, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > on the way to a build system that enables us to use the current buildd
> > > infrastructure for d-i images, I checked in a preliminary proposal into
> > > cvs.
> > >
> > > I placed it under build/debian_proposed because it discards most of the
> > > old build system. It is quite simple:
> > >
> > > - Stick with the idea of having a source package that builds the images.
> > >
> > > - Place the images into .debs to not interfere with the current archive
> > > layout and allow for easy integration with the current buildd system
> > >
> > > - Make a package for every TYPE we support. If a TYPE is not working on
> > > a specific arch, do not include that arch in the Architecture line.
> > >
> > > Please try it out and give some comments. Bear in mind that it is
> > > probably far from finished. I want some feedback on the idea before I go
> > > into details.
> >
> > Ok, this sounds fine, but how are you going to handle powerpc/chrp
> > images for example, which need to have the initrd embedded in the kernel ?
> We could only build the initrd images for these archs and the kernel
> would have to be built with these images afterwards. Does anybody know
> how this is done with the current boot-floppies?
>
> The image target (which builds a floppy image) is not meaningfull for
> every arch and every boot method. That i386 emulates floppys for cd
> booting is a special case, not a general way of booting from cds. So if
> we want to have a deb for all cases we should not only differentiate by
> installation method (TYPE= cdrom, netboot, bootfloppy) but also by boot
> method (cdrom, floppy, tftp, ...).

We discussed this at the D-I Debcamp and the conclusion was:

cdrom: boot from cdrom, el-torito or simulate cdrom boot via special floppy
       install udebs from cd

netboot: boot with tftp, bootp, nfsroot, xpe,...
         install via network

bootfloppy: boot from floppy
            ramdisk from 2. floppy
            modules from further floppies if needed
            install via network

On i386 cdrom is a special case due to el-torito. But that only means
the ramdisk in the 2.88 MB image is smaller than on other archs.

The cdrom target should probably be split into subtypes:

cdrom-boot: mini cd image thats like netboot
cdrom-udeb: all the udebs but no base
cdrom-base: complete cdrom install, no network needed

or something similar.

MfG
        Goswin