Re: debian-installer kernel policy

[Bastian Blank]
> hi folks
>
> i try to write a kernel policy for debian-installer.

This sound like a very good idea.  It is good to see an starting point
for the discussion.  :)

> it may make the communication between the d-i team and the kernel
> maintainers.

Did you drop some words from the sentence?  It will make the
communication better, I guess?

> http://debian.ipv4.waldi.eu.org/debian-installer/kernel-policy/

Would it be possible to make one long web page instead of all the
small ones?  It was painful to read it.

Some comments:

> Chapter 2. Requirements
> Linux
>
> Linux kernels which are used by the Debian-Installer must include
> the following parts:
>   - devfs
>   - tmpfs
>   - ramdisk with initrd support
>   - Unix Domain Sockets support

I believe the unix socket support can be in a module, as this is done
in the i386 kernel at the moment.  I'm not sure if the tmpfs support
is needed.  I'm not sure if devfs can be a module, or if it must
included in the kernel.

> Chapter 3. Packages
> Gerneral use Kernel Images
>
> The general use Kernel Images are out of the scope of this document.

Eh, we want to use a normal kernel in d-i, so the general kernel
images is not outside the scope of the d-i kernel documentation,
right?

> Chapter 3. Packages
> Debian-Installer use Kernel Images
> Linux
>
> The debian-installer use linux kernel images should be devided in
> more packages:
>   linux-image-VERSION-udeb
>
> This package only include the kernel image themself.
>   linux-modules-TYPE-VERSION-udeb
>
> Any of this packages includes a limited set of modules.
>
> This packages must be built with the same binaries than the general
> use kernel images.

Why the name change?  The current packages are called
kernel-image-VERSION-udeb and TYPE-modules-VERSION-udeb, I believe.