Re: New Ideas for d-i cdrom images

tis 2003-08-05 klockan 09.21 skrev Goswin Brederlow:
> 1. One can create a seemingly writeable loopback filesystem on CD. The
>    CD holds a readonly loopback file and one can create a snapshot of
>    that together with a ramdisk or shmfs (or on newer kernels a file
>    on tmpfs). Any writes to the loopback file then go into the ramdisk
>    and are lost on reboot. I have a CD image with a 100% normal woody
>    system on it with a initrd that sets such a snapshot up. Works like
>    a charme.

This sounds really neat. Stackable file systems, yay.

>    With this instead of installing all (selected) udebs into a big
>    ramdisk the udebs can be preinstalled into a loopback file upon cd
>    creation and mounted this way to reduce the ram consumtion a
>    lot. No complicated linkfarms would be neccessary. It would also
>    instantly have all udebs unpacked already so its faster too. The
>    Installer would then just run the postinst files when an udeb is
>    selected.

Okay, so how would it work for net installs? floppy installs? (with
floppy install I mean boot from floppy, load either CD drivers or NIC
drivers from floppy/floppies and then proceed with CD or net install)

Have you looked in cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/scenarios.txt? It
is very important that our design fits all or at least most of the
installation scenarios, I think it will be a pain to have one design for
CD installs and another for net installs. Then add that we might need a
separate design for a GUI installer, and we may end up juggling three or
four designs...

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of reducing the ramdisk size, but I
don't see how it would work for a net install...

Another thing, I don't think it's a good idea to actually have "all
udebs unpacked already", because "all" udebs will be a lot of them...
For example, on a CD install you will rarely need to configure the
network, so the network udebs should not be unpacked automatically. For
simple installs, there's no reason to have lvm/raid/evms unpacked
automatically, it will unnecessarily clutter the menu.

> 2. The CD could contain a knoppix like live filesystem that
>    autodetects most stuff and asks questions about the rest and thus
>    configures itself. Then once the harddisk is partitioned and
>    formated the running live filesystem can be transfered over to
>    harddisk on the fly in the background and the user can just keep on
>    working all the time and doesn't need to reboot even once.

Rebootless install? Eek. I think it would be nice to be able to reboot
the more specific kernel for your system than continuing to use the udeb
kernel...

> 3. When repartitioning a harddisk one has to reboot if any partition
>    is in use to let changes take affect. Using lvm the partition can
>    be mapped seperatly and those mappings can be changed in
>    userspace. One can also move partitions around in the background
>    with lvm and even have a resume feature when the system crashes
>    inbetween (provided there is some space to store resume
>    infos). IIRC evms has some of those features already.

But how often will a partition be in use when you partition it from an
installer? I don't understand your point, but then, I don't know
anything about lvm.

> 4. And another realy strange feature: Multi-install. One can stick say
>    8 harddisks into one system, boot the debian-installer and set
>    those harddrives up as mirrors of each other. Then one installs as
>    allways and when done distributes the harddisks to 8 computers to
>    get 8 identical systems. Ok, realy strange features but might be
>    usefull for pool installs. Maybe network block devices could be
>    used instead of removing the disks.

Heh, cute. This could be useful, but even more useful is to have a
recreatable installation scenario so you can just put a floppy or a CD
in a machine, or even better PXE boot it and it just installs with
predefined values.

> A test CD image with the woody live cd is available on
> rsync://mrvn.homeip.net/images/
> but beware, its a DSL line so the 50MB bz2 will take ages.

Well, I might as well start downloading it while at work...

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren
  martin@strakt.com