debian-installer

I have been testing sarge installation on a couple of different machines using the image built on July 14th, 2003.
Straight installation fails thus I have been doing the following to complete the 1st stage installation.
1. kernel-installer fails to link /target/boot/initrd.img* to /target/initrd.img; thus lilo fails to add initrd=
line.  And kernel image assumes /initrd.img; then lilo installation fails.  I did the following after kernel install
but before lilo install:
	# cd /target
	# rm initrd.img
	# ln -s boot/initrd.img* initrd.img
Now it is linked properly as assumed, then back to the main menu, choose install lilo.
2. /target/etc/hostname is set to localhost; thus after rebooting menu choice, but before pressing return which
installer request, edit hostname file to correct hostname.
3. If your NIC is on the NIC menu list, then /target/etc/modules file is ok for the NIC; otherwise modules file is
written with full path and module.  Thus just like 2. before pressing return, strip the path to the module.

Except above minor bugs in the 1st stage installer, it is good to use as an installer.  I really appreciate the effort
of installer team.  I have not found any bugs in the 2nd stage installer.

I do believe there are certain things checked.
1. I have hdb: DVD-RAM, hdc: DVD-ROM, hdd: CD-R/RW.  The installer creates total of 16 CDROM mount points.  ide-scsi
detects all of these by mistake; thus these 13 extra points seem to be created.  I can eliminate all phantom devices
manually.
2. Examining dmesg, partition check is performed on /dev/ide/.../... not /dev/hda.  I do not know this can be properly
adjusted easily or not.
These 2 points I noticed so far can be fixed by installing a new kernel 2.4.21, I believe.

Thank you for you guys nice effort.  I really appreciate the fruit of it.

Toshikazu Aiyama, Ph.D.