Re: sarge and sid issues with VFS: Cannot open root device - catch 22

Eric Smith wrote:
> Ok, so I installed with the woody CD and that boots fine but
> I am still in the same bind - I need kernel 2.4.20 in order to load
> a module that I have only in object form (e1000.o by name -
> this is for the intel gigabit eth0 port).  I cannot use the CD
> to upgrade to the required kernel version so that I may
> succesfully load the module.
>
> So I made a boot floppy with a 2.4.20 image (taken from the
> relevant deb with dpkg -X) and this gives me - alas - the
> exact same VFS - kernel panic stuff as mentioned above.
> IS there a way to find out why the root fs is failing to
> load in these circumstances.  Must I add some geometry
> parameters - this trial and error could go on forever.
>
> My other option is to recompile the module from inte's source
> but when I tried to unzip the kernel source I got checksum
> errors - now that is weird.

How about building your own 2.4.21 kernel? It ships with Intel's e1000
driver included, so you could even compile the driver right into the
kernel.

Are you sure that you have given the kernel the right root= parameter?
--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner          Telefon: 0732/2468-7135
Techniker Gr. Systemsoftware    Fax:     0732/2468-7138

np: Themselves - You Devil You (The No Music Period)