Re: Why did unsetting environment help apt-install?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:56:11PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Matt Kraai]
> > It fixes bug #180249.
>
> Why.  What was wrong, and why did unsetting the environment variable
> fix it?  The bug report is not very clear about this.  I want to
> understand to know what I had done wrong in apt-install.

dash's postinst is broken.  Unsetting the variables has been used
to fix it for some time, but it was done in the wrong place when
kernel-installer was created.  If you

 cd /var/lib/dpkg
 sed '/^# undoc/,/^$/d' kernel-installer.postinst >foo
 cp foo kernel-installer.postinst

you can reproduce the problem.

Matt
--