Re: debian-installer - using devfs in the installed system

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:30:04PM -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> While opinions may vary, I wonder if we're really smart to depend on devfs as
> a kernel feature for the limited use we need to make of it in the install
> process?  Or is there some big win from devfs that I haven't understood yet?

if it is decided to go to devfs, be aware that some devices will require
special care - specifically, some hardware raid devices.

the cciss & cpqarray drivers (and likely the mylex controllers) have a
namespace issue that prevents both the devfs name and the standard /dev
entry names to exist simultaneously.

(for example, /dev/cciss/c0d0 vs. /dev/cciss/c0d0/)

d-i can of course work around this, but it would require knowing which type
of /dev the user wants to use in the end.