Problems with "unejectable" CD when installing Woody b24f?

OK, I have a different problem. I decided to try out the Woody b24f instead
of the vanilla. After playing around with it a while, I eventually figure
out that I had to include a "nomce" option to get around the machine check
exception that it keeps causing a kernel panic at startup. Now, I can't
install the rest of the system because I can't eject my CD to insert
another, the system won't respond to the eject button on the CD. I try
running the shell out and then trying to umount /dev/hdc (the CD-ROM) and
umount /dev/cdrom, but umount returns thta device is not found. What am I
doing wrong here? Is there another parameter that can prevent the CD from
being locked?

Paul