smart array 5312

Hi

I hope I am not completely OT here, I just have no idea how to
search on.

I'd like to install Debian (Woody) on a HP ProLiant ML530 G2 (arch:
i386). The problem with it is that it has a Compaq Smart Array
storage controller, and this is not recognised correctly by the
bf24 kernel, with which i tried to boot/install.

In fact, this would need the CISS driver, and in bf24 this is compiled
fix in, here is what i found in dmesg when booting with bf24:

Compaq CISS Driver (v 2.4.5)

I checked in the kerneldocs and to tell the truth, there _is_ support
for 5312 (though this is a really new version of the 5312 series):

marvin:/usr/src/linux-2.4.18# head -20 Documentation/cciss.txt
This driver is for Compaq's SMART Array Controllers.

Supported Cards:
----------------

This driver is known to work with the following cards:

        * SA 5300
        * SA 5i
        * SA 532
        * SA 5312

If nodes are not already created in the /dev/cciss directory

# mkdev.cciss [ctlrs]

Where ctlrs is the number of controllers you have (defaults to 1 if not
specified).

Device Naming:
marvin:/usr/src/linux-2.4.18#

I heard that someone has a machine like this with redhat running,
so i gave it a try, and yes, even with a 2.4.9 kernel (patched) it
sees the controller right:

Compaq CISS Driver (v 2.4.32)
cciss: Device 0xb178 has been found at bus 1 dev 1 func 0
cciss: using DAC cycles
blocks= 35553120 block_size= 512
heads= 255, sectors= 32, cylinders= 4357

blocks= 284506560 block_size= 512
heads= 255, sectors= 32, cylinders= 34866

blocks= 284506560 block_size= 512
heads= 255, sectors= 32, cylinders= 34866

blk: queue c03e1980, no I/O memory limit
Partition check:
 cciss/c0d0: p1 p2 p3
 cciss/c0d1:
 cciss/c0d2:
Journalled Block Device driver loaded

redhat lspci:

01:01.0 RAID bus controller: Compaq Computer Corporation Smart Array 5i/532 (rev 01)

OK, all in all my question is: How can Redhat have a _much_ newer driver than the
one in the stock kernel (I mean kernel.org kernel)?

How to update the cciss driver in a stock kernel?

how can i set up with so an updated kernel install-images?

And yes, i _definitely_ would like to have debian on the machine.

any help is appreciated

tia

charlie

--
Végh Károly -  System Engineer - UTA - TIS.SAS.BSS
Cynics says that Hungarians created America's Hollywood before