Re: working on the Alpha port

HX> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:58:31AM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, it looks like aboot doesn't support loading the initrd from a
>> different floppy than the kernel. (I've only looked at the source,
>> though, not really tried it.) So we could either hack aboot, or get
>> back to load_ramdisk. What do you think?
HX>
HX> It is trivial to get aboot to support it.  See attached patch.

I would like to warn everyone about this patch.

I do *not* insist, but it is possible, that it made my PWS 600au
almost dead. Hope it is recoverable, but for now it even do not enter
SRM console. Again: I am not any sure, Herbert's patch is the reason,
but it could be.

And it (patch) did not helped me to load initrd image from a second
floppy. The boot process looks like

aboot: loading compressed boot/vmlinuz...
aboot: zero-filling 499656 bytes at 0xfffffc0000a32ba8
Please insert the floppy disk with the INITRD image.
Press ENTER to continue...
halted CPU 0

halt code = 2
kernel stack not valid halt
PC = 200000000

A debug print I' have added right after getline(0,0) does not appear
on console, and this is very strange. Even may be system does not
expect floppy change at the moment of "Please insert the floppy disk with
the INITRD image.", because the LED on floppy drive is always on.

--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia