Re: Some problems and questions...

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> As to the "Neighbour Table Overflow" error, I've seen it since Potato on
> several 486 and Pentium machines, both SCSI and IDE.

Ok, we've changed the klogctl for 3.0.23 (3.0r1) boot-floppies -- it
should suppress all kernel messages completely from console.  You can
still find them in the logs though.

> The kernel comes from
> the boot floppies found in the 1.44 directory (boot, root, and drivers).

That is what we call the "vanilla flavor".

> If not there, then they are the kernel provided by the first CD. (I
> think these two are the same...)

Well, not any more they aren't!

> On my own machines, I build a custom kernel with just the drivers I need,
> and I never see this error. My suspicion is that I must build a custom
> boot kernel for replacement on the floppy to avoid this, but maybe I can
> get rid of it by using a different boot kernel from the archives...

Yes, any of the other kernels would probably works:

  idepci  -- for non-SCSI machines
  compact -- for SCSI machines
  bf2.4   -- Linux 2.4 based

> I'm also looking for some other hardware to test this on, so I
> should have some better answers this evening.

Thanks.  Your testing helps us move forward...