Re: debiandoc-sgml source for Progeny User's Guide available

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:13:58AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> writes:
>
> > I just completed conversion of Progeny User's Guide into debiandoc-sgml.
> >
> > It should show-up if I did not screwup CVS commit to DDP.
> >    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
> >
> > You can see older version here (HTML source)
> >    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/progeny-debian-manual/
> >
> > It may be of your interest to include or merge with Install manual
> > in boot-floppies (or mention it).  :)
>
> Interesting.  I think it would be worthwhile to review this for
> sections which are better than our coverage, and grab it.  What
> license is it under?

It was GPL'd in mid-March.

It is a very nice manual, covering much more than installation, but it
is Progeny-specific. Osamu wanted to get an open-source version up so
people could see it right away; but a team's been formed to de-Progenize
and completely Debianize it.

It's really oriented to first-time Linux users; and as such is a valuable
addition. There's not as much technical detail as in our current manual.

But, I'll take a look to see if there's something we can incorporate
right now.

I think it makes sense to keep it separate, for now anyway, so that
new users have a friendly introduction. Eventually we can incorporate
not-in-your-face links to more expert-user type info. By the same
token, expert linux users are rather annoyed and feel their
time/bandwidth/disk space is wasted by screen shots and beginner type
stuff.

It's also i386-only atm (that's all progeny ran on, AFAIK).