Re: Debootstrap question

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:52:25PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

Hi Junichi,

> So you are cross-installing for a different arch ?

Not quite.  They are all i386.  But there are small
differences between the VIA Eden and the Intel Coppermine
to cause headaches.

> If you are native-installing on a flash, then you can
> chroot and run apt inside the debootstrapped directory.

I will test it to see how well it works.

> debootstrap is quite weak in some sense due to the fact that
> it does not take dependency trees in account, and you need
> to list all the required libs etc. to install,
> so this two-stage install method is feels quite natural.

Dependancy still works in some small extents.  It will not
install some of the base packages if they don't have the
prerequitites.  For my purpose, once I get the script working
correctly, I can just run and build the core filesystem over
and over.

Debootstrap is wonderful, with all of the current
limitations.  I have been looking at GAR LNX-BBC as another
method to build a small bootable CompactFlash.  It literally
takes hours and hours, while debootstrap can do it in less
than half of an hour.  There are still some rough edges.
Overall, I think it is going to work.

Thanks.
Bao
--