menutest scripts

I began organizing the menutest scripts today.. they are a total mess
(or they are missing) today.  Many packages just want to run once,
should they drop a state file in /var/lib/$package somewhere, or
should they (ab)use debconf to this or how do you propose that we solve
that problem?  main-menu could also be changed to put those
already-configured items last.

Ideas, thoughts?

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-