Re: coding style

Martin,

> Huh? What kind of editor do you use? I would've thought that all widely
> used editors used for writing code could convert automatically between
> spaces and tabs?

Oh, I see. You want me to learn how to reconfigure editors. Ok, I'm game.

What I use varies, and I feel far from proficient at configuring editors.
Please list your approved/tested editors. I look forward to receiving form
you a cheat sheet of how to configure tabs to spaces in popular editors. It
would be interesting to know how to do that, though of course I wouldn't
normally bother since I prefer tabs.

One reason I like real tabs is that it avoids the debate of the "correct"
number of spaces to represent a tab. Although four spaces sounds reasonable
to me, others love two, three, or five spaces.

> Oh please. I asked Tollef to set up some kind of guidelines, and I had
> to ask him several times to get him to do it ;) I didn't want to do it
> as I'm not the project leader, but I don't want him flamed for doing
> what I asked him to.

I didn't cast aspersions on anyone about making a power play. I don't know
you well enough to have formed any opinion.

> Everybody is of course free to write in whatever
> arcane style they want, as long as the *checked in code* complies with
> the mandated coding style!

Is this your idea of being broadminded? To reject contributions? Or, do you
have a different point? Are you volunteering to do the work of reformating
all checked in code for consistency no matter what style it is written in?
Would the "mandated coding style" only be mandatory for you? ;-)

Cheers,

Robin
www.LinuxMovies.org
http://filmgimp.sourceforge.net