[d-i] Extended 'Description' fields in control files

I've been fiddling with Description-XYZ fields in control files, for the
purpose of i18n in main-menu, and, well, dpkg doesn't like my UTF-8 :(

I've got this in anna/debian/control:

 anna's not nearly apt, but for the Debian installer, it will do.
XBC-Description-sv: Färdigställ Debians installationsprogram
 anna är inte apt på långa vägar, men för Debians installationsprogram
 duger det.

but when the package has been built, dpkg-deb -I says this:

  anna's not nearly apt, but for the Debian installer, it will do.
 description-sv: Färdigställ Debians installationsprogram
  anna är inte apt på långa vägar, men för Debians
installationsprogram
  duger det.

sure, still valid UTF-8, but it's UTF-8 for what the UTF-8 is if
interpreted according to Latin1. I thought dpkg didn't assume anything
at all about the encoding in control files? That it expected us-ascii
and damn everyone who didn't follow that. Can I fix this somehow, or are
we doomed to having several encodings in the file because we can't do
UTF-8?

Regards,
Martin