Drive Partitioning Issue

Hello,

I'm attempting to install Debian GNU/Linux 3.0, but there are issues when attempting to partition the harddisk I'm using a standalone Maxtor Ultra ATA-133 60GB HD connected to a Hightpoint HPT372 IDE-RAID controller (I used to have two drives mirrored, but one was crapping out, so I pulled it). The floppy boot disks I'm using are from the 'bf2.4' flavor, and they are using linux-2.4.18-bf2.4 as the kernel - this is the only Debian installation kernel I've found that supports my Highpoint IDE-RAID controller. I've already got Windows XP installed on the first partition of my harddisk, which takes 40GB.

When I boot off the floppies and come to the installation menu, I attempt to re-partition the hard disk. These attempts appear successful, but after writing the partition table, I can no longer read from the drive until after a reboot. Once I reboot and go back into the partition table editor (cfdisk) the table is incorrect, except for the primary partition, which is still intact.

I thought I'd give 'fdisk' a try, instead of 'cfdisk'. Here are my results:

1. I start out with fdisk, and partition the drive how I want it - this is what I see when I'm done my work:

{{{
Device    Boot    Start    End    Blocks    ID    System
/dev/hde1    *    1    5099    40957686    7    HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hde2        5100    7299    17671500    5    Extended
/dev/hde5        5100    5163    514048+    83    Linux
/dev/hde6        5164    5227    514048+    83    Linux
/dev/hde7        5228    5358    1052226    82    Linux Swap
/dev/hde8        5359    6378    8193118+    83    Linux

Command (m for help): W
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table. // Side-note - this call to ioctl() takes roughtly 30-40 seconds.
Syncing disks.
#
}}}

So, thus far everything looks OK. I've not used all of the extended partition (hde2), but that was on purpose. Now, if I run fdisk again directly after writing the partition table, it complains that it can no longer read from the drive. With no other alternative in mind, I reboot the machine.

2. Once I reboot, I open fdisk again, just to find the partition table is not how I wanted it:

{{{
Device    Boot    Start    End    Blocks    ID    System
/dev/hde1    *    1    5099    40957686    7    HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hde2        5100    7299    17671500    5    Extended
/dev/hde5        5100    5163    514048+    83    Linux
}}}

It seems that the other three partitions have simply not been written. In other attempts (in cases with cfdisk) I've actually come back to find that it's removed all the Linux partitions completely, and replaced them with two 'Win95 FAT16' partitions of completely different size and alignment than previous partitions I had created (the primary partition was never touched, however). Does anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening, and/or how to solve it? I'm considering that the size of the drive may be an issue, but I can't say for sure. It's also possible that the drivers for the HPT372 controller are pooched, but I don't have anything to compare to. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks very much for your time,
-David Fuchs