Re: i18n requires setlocale

mån 2002-09-09 klockan 03.45 skrev Junichi Uekawa:

> > Why can't they be in UTF-8? My "local encoding" *is* UTF-8
>
> Your "local encoding" is a country default that has been used
> in the past, and which is used in your debconf templates file,
> assumed when you do not specify an encoding in your templates file.
>
> ISO-8859-? for most european countries, EUC-JP in Japan,
> and so on.
>
> Not what your environment variable holds.

Hmm. I meant to ask whether "or am I cursed with Latin1 because I happen
to live in western Europe?" (but I must've forgotten it somehow) which
it seems I am. So my conversion to sv_SE.UTF-8 was pretty much in vain,
then. Dang.

> > And on-the-fly conversion is something
> > that I want debconf to do, but it also requires specifying the encoding
> > in the templates files.
>
> We know the encoding of the templates files, and we are going towards a
> on-the-fly conversion.

Where is this table of known encodings? I mean, where does debconf
define the sv -> Latin1 mapping?

> > But I don't see the importance of templates not
> > being in UTF-8.
>
> They should not be in UTF-8 suddenly, without any signification
> of them being in UTF-8.
> Well, if they had been UTF-8 from the beginning, then that
> would be okay.

Unless we mandate that templates are UTF-8 for d-i and only use
UTF-8-capable frontends?

> Note that on-the-fly conversion using iconv is very expensive.
>
> $ du -sh /usr/lib/gconv/
> 4.4M    /usr/lib/gconv
>
> We are not going to fit that onto a floppy.

I know. But what is {c,}debconf using for the on-the-fly conversion
then? It has to be done somehow!

> > Exactly, and since i18n is such a complicated matter, it makes sense to
> > use what has been produced by others who have thought a lot about it
> > (e.g. gettext) instead of producing something ourselves that may or may
> > not be good enough.
>
> ditto, but since "debconf" has been going in this direction,
> and joey hess made it the beast it is, it seems like we are sticking
> to it this way.

As long as every language has its own templates.X file, I suppose it's
okay, when they are merged together into one file it gives me the creeps
to have contents from several different encodings in a single file.

Regards,
Martin