Devices conflict & modconf

Hi,

This is a mail i posted yesterday to debian-user, about a small bug i
found in modconf (Woody version), and a solution proposal. The bug relies
on default modules loading order.

As you may not subscribe to debian-user, i am forwarding it directly to
you.

I would be very interested by your opinion on this.

Thank you in advance,

Xavier de Labouret
All day long Debian user

-------------------------------

Hi,

I recently had a conflict between my webcam (Logitech 3000 Pro), and my
SB 128 sound card. I wonder if i should file a bug report against modconf
(i am using Debian Woody) because of it.

The trouble was that i had no sound at all, even if i asked the right
modules to load.

After some investigations, it appeared that my webcam has a microphone in
it, handled by the 'usbaudio' module. And this module reclaimed
/dev/audio, because it was loaded before 'es1371'.

So 'cat file.au > /dev/audio' wad handled by my poor microphone! My SB
was associated to /dev/audio1.

Changing the modules order in /etc/modules worked fine.

The module loading order is handled by modconf for me. I know that
modconf includes options to manipulate the modules loading order.

But i think it would be much better, if, by default, it loaded OSS and
ALSA modules before usbaudio. 'By default' meaning, at least, if no
parameter is given to modconf to change the modules loading order.

Just because sound programs rarely expect your soundcard to be handled
by /dev/audio1.

Is this the cleanest solution to preventing problems like mine to happen?
If so, should i file a bug against modconf?

Thank you in advance,

Xavier de Labouret