Re: help creating a special set of boot floppies

#include <hallo.h>
Kenny Hitt wrote on Mon Jun 17, 2002 um 04:34:37PM:
> when I patch the kernel, it becomes to big for the floppy disk.  I have moved enough things
> to modules to make room, but now I have a problem creating driver disks.
>
> I can build the kernel using the kernel-package, but can't figure out
> how to create the pcmcia modules package to match my kernel.

I used this script to generate pcmcia packages. Extract the pcmcia-cs
source and run these lines from the pcmcia-cs directory (adopt to your
paths):

export GNUPGHOME=/home/user/.gnupg
debian/rules KSRC=/home/user/debian/tmp/kernel-image-2.4.18-i386bf-2.4.18/build-bf2.4 KMAINT="Eduard Bloch" KEMAIL=blade@debian.org kdist KVERS=2.4.18-bf2.4

Alternatively, you can build the kernel with make-kpkg without going
trough the kernel-image metapackage...

make-kpkg --append-to-version -bf2.4 --bzimage modules-image kernel-image

and extract /usr/src/pcmcia-cs.tar.gz first.

> Would someone please tell me where to find documentation on creating a pcmcia modules
> package?

There is a readme for Debian kernel maintainers in the pcmcia-cs package.

> I have the source for boot-floppies-3.0.23so I can build the official boot floppies.
> If I understand what is happening, I need my special kernel package,
> and the pcmcia modules package to match it.  Then, I would add my
> special package as a new flavor of kernel.

Yes. The question is - what are you going to do? Do you only want to
replace the kernel on the existing disks? This may work, but the version
have to match, exactly, including -bf2.4 extension.

Though, if you may become problems with the kernel if you change too
many settings in the kernel image.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--