Re: trying to clean up a bit with the questions concerning 'Initialize...'

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 06:55:36PM +0100, Andreas W?st wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am now trying to stick together all the questons which has been arising
> about the 'Initialize a..' bug. Hope this helps to clean up a bit. So here we
> go.
>

> *Chris Tillman asked:*
>
> >> Well, if it doesn't get fixed, it would mean that a whole release would be
> >> uninstallable by network for all the x-surf users outthere without tricking
> >> around? (but to be fair: there doesn't seem to be too much users with a
> >> x-surf NIC, so I can understand your point!)
> >>

> > If it really is a kernel issue, that's pretty easy to fix (for us). If it's
> > a dbootstrap bug, that's where we'll have difficulty, with no developers
> > on that architecture.
> >
> > That's why I'm curious to see if you can mke2fs and mount from console 2;
> > if so, it's probably dbootstrap and hard, if not it's probably kernel and
> > easy.
>
> As I wrote in my bug report afterwards, it does work with mke2fs totally
> problemfree.
>
> So, it seems to be dbootstrap and hard..

Yes, but it must be some interaction between dbootstrap and the kernel
since we still do have the other fact of the one version kernel working
and the other not.

> *Chris Tillman asked:*
>
> >> I was told that this bug should have already been fixed after 3.0.19, but this
> >> doesn't seem to be case, at least not for apus flavor.
> >>
> >> Interesting thing is that everything works normally with apus kernel 2.4.9.
> >
> > Hmmm. I just had a look at the APUS notes at
> >
> > disks-powerpc/current/apus/install.txt
> >
> > It looks like maybe Sven never got that part to work, he says use the AmigaOS
> > partitioner. Are you still around here, Sven?
>
> Oh, I think you mean partition here? Yes, that has to be done on the AmigaOS
> side. But I can't format a linux partition under AmigaOS, so this has to be
> done by the installer system. But, this leads me to the question: what is
> dbootstrap doing asides mke2fs when selecting this ominous 'Initialize a..'?
>
> I tried to find out by myself, but couldn't find the init_linux() method which
> seems to be called when executing this menu entry.

You're right, I just added to the confusion here. This is not the mac-fdisk step.

> *Michel D?nzer said:*
>
> >> I've already reported this problem with bf-3.0.19 to both of these lists. On
> >> linux-apus-devel I was told this would be a kernel issue,
> >
> > Well, I said it seems to be a kernel issue, seeing as it works with one
> > kernel but not the other.
>
> Aieeeh. Now we have a statement against statement. Chris claims it dbootstrap
> related, Michel kernel related. I'm jumping out of the line of fire now!!

Both?

> But thinking about the 2.4.9 vs. 2.4.17 thingy, I am going to belief it could
> be kernel related after all.
>

> *Adam Di Carlo said:*
>
> >> After initializing the swap partition, it is not possible to execute
> >> the point "Initialize a Linux Partition". After selecting this point
> >> in the menu, the screen goes1
> > black, and the installer system
> >> restarts!
> >
> > Isn't this caused by my build with bad versions of pmac-fdisk and
> > other *fdisk packages?
>
> No idea!

No Adam made the same mistake I did, you're not messing with mac-fdisk at this point.

> > Please try the version 3.0.21.0.1, now available at
> > <URL:#http://people.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies-woody/disks-powerpc/current/#>.
>
> I am going to try this!
>

> Did I forget anything?

Only that I said I thought it had been fixed. Let me 'splain a little
more about that.  I was seeing dbootstrap restart at the point during
kernel install when it mounted a partition, in December I think. There
were several bugs at the time about it, IIRC.

Anyway, I made a bunch of changes in the code that mounts and unmounts
partitions, and cleaned that problem up. I think my initial assumption,
that you were seeing the same problem, was wrong.

I just had an inspiration. Someone put in debugging code to help when
we get segfault problems. It won't show the registers for your arch,
but it will at least give a backtrace which may prove helpful to
someone around here.

The way you activate it, is add debug to your boot arguments. It's
supposed to give you a backtrace on stderr. Can you try that with
the troublesome kernel?