Re: some special casings which should no longer be necessary

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 01:03, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I am seeing in rootdisk.sh:
>
>     # i386 can't reduce libnewt if we're in LANG_CHOOSER mode
>     if [ "$arch" != "i386" -o "$USE_LANG_CHOOSER" != "true" ]; then
>         rm -f $R/usr/lib/libnewt*
>     fi
>
> Could this have been fixed with the recent transition?

I don't think so.  The bug occurred when people were trying to reduce
the UTF8 libnewt when they also had plain libnewt-pic installed.
Because libnewt0 and libnewt-utf8-0 shared a soname, mklibs.sh was
making the reduced library from the objects in /usr/lib/libnewt_pic.a,
which was causing flashing screens.

I think you mentioned that libnewt and libnewt-utf8 still have the same
soname, so the potential for the bug is still there.  Whether the
packaging will still let you install the right combination of libnewt,
libnewt-dev and libnewt-pic packages to make it actually happen, I'm not
so sure.

As far as I know there is nothing actually i386 specific about this,
either.  It can happen on all architectures just as easily.  Perhaps
that bit of the check should be removed.

p.